Exclusive Interview with Makeup Artist~Pamela Adjei owner of Natural Shades of You


Every now and again I try to secure an interview with a wedding vendor that will share useful insights on specific wedding related issues. Today you are in for a treat because this interviewee, is a makeup artist that has been specially hand-picked.


The last time I saw Pamela, was during a meeting in one of  the world's most respected investment banks. I was doing a pitch to Communication and Investor Relation Professionals and Pamela happened to work there. Pleasant surprise indeed as I made the most of our university connections during the meeting.


Fast forward, three years later, I discover Pamela is training in LA as a professional makeup artist. Now the reason why I will confidently recommend Miss Adjei is because, for all who knew Pamela at university, she was anti-makeup. Not a lipstick in sight, but then she could get away with it because she was strikingly beautiful with enviable long black tresses.... all hers! As you can imagine the boys loved her and funnily the girls did too. That's because she was just so charming, pleasant and warm. 


Today, Pamela is the epitome of an assertive and beautiful woman. She cut all her long tresses and has managed to pull off an even prettier look with a short crop. This probably allows her to be her own muse. When Pamela wears makeup it looks perfect. Without much ado, meet a lovely talented and inspirational woman: Miss Pamela Adjei!


Why make-up?
I never really wore much make-up because I didn’t know where to start. Every time I went to a department store for a free makeover, they would always apply too much foundation and super gloss my lips and sell you a million and one products!
The makeup usually looked ok in the store, but when I got home, I found that the foundation was either too ashy or red. This prompted me to do research into foundation for darker skin tones and as a result I started experimenting with make-up, buying foundations, eye shadow, concealer, blush etc, as well as reading reviews on these products. It was also then that I started thinking about a pursuing a career in make-up artistry.


So, in spring 2009, I attended a 2 day course in central London, but I didn’t really learn anything new.


Then in Autumn 2009, a through a friend, I assisted international make-up artist Nora Nonah, which gave me a valuable insight into what a make-up artist does, how they should act on set and what they need to keep in their kit.


I got made redundant in September 2009 and though I’d use that opportunity to go to the US to study make-up. I studied beauty make-up at the Make-up Designory in Los Angeles, California for 5 weeks. It covered everything from mixing foundations to makeup for TV & Film. When I got back to London, I started doing test shoots to build up my portfolio. Since then, I’ve worked on bridal photo shoots and then with actual brides.


The most common request among brides I’ve worked with is that they want to look and feel like themselves on their wedding day. This is why if you decide to hire a make-up artist, a bridal make-up trial is essential. This is where details of the weddings are discussed, such as the colour theme, hairstyle, time of wedding etc as they can influence the make-up look for the day. To ensure bride stands out, I’d advise applying false eyelashes to the bride only and adopt a different make-up theme for the all the bridesmaids.



Pamela at work
Tips for make-up on wedding day
Skin

  • Use a primer to ensure your foundation lasts all day. It also prepares the skin for makeup and should be applied after moisturiser.
  • Regardless of your skin tone, use a yellow tone foundation, concealer and powder as it adds warmth to the face and it looks the most natural eyes.
  • Natural looks are best for morning/midday weddings. The darker your skin tone, the deeper shades can be. For the evening, darker shades can be applied.


Any predicted trends for bridal makeup this season?
Two looks:

  •  Natural, nude and flawless skin. To achieve this look, it’s all in the preparation. A good skincare regime is very important in the weeks leading up to your wedding day. Go for soft/earthy tones e.g. browns, pinks, golds Subtle cheeks Matte lipsticks, in natural shades
  • Bold lips Shades such as reds, hot pinks paired with a clean eye (neutral eyeshadow and black eyeliner). Highlight the brow bone, apply two layers of mascara, then add some false lashes


How do I go about booking you?
  • As well as bridal makeup, I do photo shoots and fashion shows. To find out more about Pamela Adjei's Natural Shade of YOU, go here . She does makeup trials so make the most of a true talent that will give you a fitting look on your wedding day!




Make-up: Pamela Adjei
Styling: Haiden Medina
Photographer: Dan Korkelia




Thank you Pamela and well done!

Love,
Rx


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts