Destination wedding~ Guimarães, Portugal

Hello beautiful people!!! I have just returned home from my friend's wedding in Portugal and I am still blown away by what I saw. So this  is what I'll do. I shall release the 3 day wedding..... well it really wasn't but because we had activities lined up everyday I'd classify it as such.


The wedding celebrations were held in a Northern Portuguese city called Guimarães on Braga District, the groom's home town. This bastion of historical and political heritage is so highly treasured  that it has been listed a UNESCO world heritage.


Now believe me when I tell you this city is one of the most scenic and authentic locations I have ever set eyes on. There are beautiful churches everywhere, cobbled streets, vineyards, home made wine, Port wine .... O I could go on. As it happens. It was settled in circa the 9th century and became Portugal's main government seat for the County of Portugal after the battle for the Kingdom of Galicia....( a bit of history there).


So I boarded Easyjet from Gatwick and landed in Porto within 2 hours. Now if you are looking for an authentic and romantic wedding or honeymoon destination there are a million and one reasons why Guimarães is the place to be.  Hills, valleys, cured meat, grilled steak, cabbage, beautiful bread, fruits of all kind, serenity ........this is just heaven on earth. The best part is food is really cheap, the people are warm and friendly and you could stay in beautifully preserved hotels with lots of charm. 


So let me share my day 1 pictures with you. First stop Casa de Sezim a which is about 600 years old and has stayed within the same family.. In my next post. I'll show you how my friend used this venue for her rehearsal barbeque in the next post!




Enjoy,
R x

































Comments

Popular Posts