My Big Fat Nigerian Wedding ~ Vendors

Just the other day, my lovely cousin in-boxed me on Facebook with an article on CNN : My big, fat Nigerian wedding. Now this I could relate to an all levels. First, I am West African and most weddings in that part of the world have to be huge and COSTLY, if you are somebody. Your mum will invite her church members, relatives, neighbours, colleagues. Then you have to start worrying about your dad's relatives and friends before you even start thinking of your own guests and this is just the bride's guest list.

Second, Yemi Osunkoyah from Kosibah who is a friend and has even done a post for us here on AandRparty UK, literally gave his take on the Nigerian wedding industry for the most part of the article.



Part of what he narrated was that the industry is extremely lucrative as it yields ridiculous amounts of money;that we know. In fact, a friend based in Lagos, Nigeria and I were just discussing this the other day. She has just started her own events company, but feels a bit uninspired as Nigeria's wedding industry is extremely saturated and the majority of brides will use the most popular vendors. Therefore, new starters like her, have to patiently wait to hit one of these big fat weddings. Most new business opportunities are by recommendation and that I fully understand. Like my good friend in Lagos who by the way has impeccable taste and style, I think resilience, attention to detail, a fabulous suppliers list and a warm personality will ultimately set you apart from the competition. So, I'll keep hoping that someday, I'll be doing Big Fat West African wedding along with my friend in Lagos.

I have also recently contacted a friend who is based in the UK but also covers wedding photography in Nigeria to share some lovely wedding photos and he has kindly agreed. So stay tuned for  a big fat Nigerian weddings!!!! O and before I forget, the wedding photographer that shot the above is Atunbi. For more information on his work, go HERE !

Comments

Popular Posts